13 September 2009

Too serendipitous to waste time being worried.

As you may or may not know, I spent today and yesterday in cars, planes, trains, and taxis on the way to Caracas, Venezuela. I will be spending the next 10 months on a Fulbright English Teaching Assistantship in Valera, Venezuela, a city in the Andes about 10 hours outside of the capital.

Some of you were faithful readers of my blog while I was in Tanzania (http://annagoestotanzania.blogspot.com- you can still read it!), and it was so fun to be able to share tales of visits from elephants, wonderful host families, terrifying bus rides, swimming with dolphins, and mass releases of prisoners from nearby prisons. While this experience will be very different from my African adventures, teaching English classes at the university level in South America will surely be interesting, given that I have never really taught English, have never been to South America, and regularly confuse Spanish, Swahili and occasionally English vocabulary.

I have to be honest, the weeks leading up to this trip were pretty frustrating and stressful, to the point where it was hard to be excited about the good parts of the trip. Some examples:
1) About 30 hours before my flight was scheduled to leave, my passport (with my visa) was in a Fedex truck somewhere between DC and St. Paul
2) I nearly missed our entire orientation weekend in DC simply because I was never informed about it
3) I took it as a bad sign that my flight into Caracas was Continental flight 666, and that
4) there was a 6.4 magnitude earthquake in Caracas about 12 hours before my arrival
The advice that I got from others regarding my concerns: “Don’t even worry about it… Just go—you’ll figure it out,” “Seriously, you probably don’t even need a visa…It’ll be fine….” I may have a tendency to be a little high strung sometimes, but seriously?! Go without a passport to a country that has less-than-good diplomatic relations with the US?! This was surely NOT good advice. I must admit that this trip didn’t seem like the best adventure I had ever planned… but as you know, I am pretty stubborn and have unrestrained wanderlust, so these things would never actually stop me.

A couple days ago, though, suddenly everything started working out so serendipitously that I couldn’t be more pleased. I got my passport with about 24 hours to spare, and had time to visit and call friends to say goodbye. I had two lovely goodbye dinners with my two families. At the airport, my bag weighed exactly 50.0 pounds, the maximum before you have to pay extra, so I wasn’t charged at all for checking baggage. The woman at the ticketing booth offered my Mom, Ron, Luke and Megan passes to come into the gate with me. We said sure, and I commented that, “I didn’t know you did that?!” and she responded, “We don’t—I’m just feeling generous.”

Once past customs, we glimpsed Air Force One through a window. As we watched, we saw people (including Obama, who had given a speech about 30 minutes before at the Target Center in Minneapolis!) get on the plane, and take off. On the plane, I spent hours perusing SkyMall, trying to imagine the people who spent hundreds of dollars on things like voice-activated R2D2 robots, the “keep your distance” bug vacuum, stainless steel wallets, yard statues of sumo wrestlers, yetis, and zombies, or “million germ eliminating travel toothbrush sanitizers.” I also spent time wondering if I too, might consider purchasing the “indoor dog restroom,” doggie doorbells, inflatable dog pools, or drinking fountains for my dog if I were to ever get one… As soon as I knew it, we had arrived in Texas.

Another Fulbright student met me in Houston, and we had time to hang out until our plane left at midnight for Caracas—and it turned out that it was flight 1666, not 666. Haha. In Caracas, there was a driver waiting for us at the airport and a bellboy at our hotel hoping to exchange money with us—at a decent “unofficial” rate. For how nervous and anxious I had been feeling over the last several weeks, everything worked out perfectly. We begin our in-country orientation, meet the ambassador, and get a tour of the embassy tomorrow. I am so excited!!!!!

7 comments:

  1. I am SO RELIEVED you had a safe entrance into Caracas! Enjoy every minute you are there and start gathering those stories we all love to hear! Love, MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad to hear everything is going well now! it was great to talk to you last night.

    also, does the department of state require you to post that disclaimer on the side? it's pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lucky for us all that you're as charming and hilarious in writing as in person. i hope your time there keeps being wonderful--i'll check in on your adventures all the time. love you, darling.
    -amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. "the weeks leading up to this trip were pretty frustrating and stressful, to the point where it was hard to be excited about the good parts of the trip."

    This is exactly how I felt the weeks before leaving on my trip. It sucks, but I'm glad things are getting better. For both of us!

    Good luck! I'm excited to hear about your adventures. I'm not sure how much I'll be blogging over the next couple months, but I'll definitely be in touch.

    I think the toaster designed for hot dogs (and hot dog buns) is my all-time favorite SkyMall product.

    p.s. the Department of State made a big deal about us posting that same disclaimer on our blogs...so silly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Need...more...blog...posts!

    (This demand for more blog posts is not an official demand, but rather my own personal demand, and does not in any way represent the views of all of Anna's blog readers, all Dads, all left-handed people, the FBI, the CIA, the BBC, BB King, Doris Day or Matt Busby. Dig it. Dig it. Dig it.).

    Dad

    Portions copyright The Beatles

    ReplyDelete
  7. yao weird concidence! when you were leaving Minneasnapplepuss for Caracas, so was Obama.
    When I was leaving NY for Kazakhstan, so was Obama!
    Except that meant my flight got delayed four hours.

    ReplyDelete