02 October 2009

Angel's Placenta

I must admit that I have a slight case of hypochondria, especially when I am traveling.  A minor cramp inspires in me visions of malarial delirium, a gurgling stomach surely indicates that I have contracted amoebic dysentery, a headache inevitably means a brain tumor that must be operated on in hospitals that have no lights, medications, or even doctors.   This hypochondria is not totally unreasonable, for I have had some strange encounters with medical conditions and facilities while living abroad.  For example, when I returned from Africa, I had a stomach infection, a sinus infection, and fluid in my lungs.  In a state of delirium in the doctor’s office in Zanzibar (that had no electricity), I was taken to a white room, given a good slap on the butt, and a shot of some mystery medicine (I had a witness). In El Salvador, several of the people I was traveling with returned with dengue fever and giardia.  But here it’s different, I feel like I am the person with the fewest medical ailments in the family that I am staying with.  I feel good—some minor issues, but generally good.  Everyone here seems to have daily medical problems, and they definitely want to talk about them.  I am so pleased, because this means that under no circumstances will I ever appear to be a hypochondriac here, even if I am.

 

I am also glad that for nearly every ailment, my host family has a natural remedy.  For example, the other night, my host mother was handing out spoonfuls of a powerful, brown elixir called, “Uña de dios” or, “God’s fingernail.” I abstained, but it’s good to know that when I feel a little off I can ask for some God’s fingernail and possibly feel better.  When I open the bathroom cabinet, I see bottles that say things like, “Angel’s placenta.”  I don’t know what these remedies are for, or whether or not they work, but it’s good to know that I will at least have some sort of placebo medicine to calm me while I am sure I am terribly ill, but really I just need some water/sleep.  My host mother also believes in the healing power of limes.  I love limes, so this will work out very well.

 

On a totally different note, there has been a second robbery in my life here.  Not my stuff, but the language department’s stuff.  And this time it was serious.  This afternoon someone stole a laptop and a projector (one that you connect to the computer to project what is on the computer screen) from one of the English classrooms.  Discussion of the missing equipment prompted discussion of other things that have been stolen from teachers and employees in various situations.  It made me glad that I didn’t bring many things here that I would be horribly sad to lose…  Because it is always a possibility that things here will be gone in an instant.

 

Despite the robbery issue, I really love the university here.  The teachers are all so warm and kind to me, giving me tight hugs and kisses on the cheek every time we say hello or goodbye.  They ask for help with pronunciation, and teach me slang.  There are 7 faculty in the English department— three full time and four part time.  They are all women except Yervio, and I am happy to surround myself with strong, intelligent women in this land of men that I have been told to not trust. I usually just see the four part time teachers in passing, but now that I have got them straight I am excited to talk with them more. 

 

My involvement with the university is also starting to expand beyond my one English class.  Today I met the director of Bibliomulas, a university program that brings books to rural schoolchildren on mules.  I am going to start working with them next week, and BOY am I excited to montar una mula and ride to the top of the world, which is apparently where they go. I am also beginning to work with the Rincon Americana (American Corner), an office that is an extension of the language center at the University.  I spent this morning tutoring English students there, and I have big dreams of having holiday celebrations, movie nights, possibly book groups, or other activities there.  Hopefully I will also be talking with the director of Community Service at the university and getting involved.  The past two weeks have been good, I have had plenty of time to adjust, find my bearings, get to know my host family, and surf the internet. The problem is that everything is a little slower here than I like, and I am itching to explore! Almost three weeks have gone by already, which means it’s definitely time to get out and see the country, meet new people, and appreciate the world around me that I know won’t be there forever.

1 comment:

  1. Anna dear,
    I laughed and gasped as I read your postings. Your both funny and calm spirit make for some great reading.
    As another strong woman who cares for you, please keep yourself seriously safe and save the dangerous stuff for those mystery novels.
    Your town looks incredibly beautiful. Now I know/care for two people who have lived in South America -- crazy!
    Cathy W.

    ReplyDelete