13 November 2009

What´s a girl to do???

I would like to think that if I ever saw someone stealing a car, I would interfere in some way, shape, or form… But I now know from experience that when witness to car theft, I don´t do anything. I just stare in disbelief as I watch someone wheel away a car that is not theirs.

You see, last Saturday, I watched someone get their car stolen. How strange, huh? At about 5 in the morning, when we were standing outside our house, we watched a group of about 4 or 5 boys pushing a car that was clearly not theirs down the street... But in retrospect, I really have no idea what we could have done. I sure wasn´t about to intervene physically in their sketchy nighttime activities, I have no idea how I would call the police even if I wanted to, chances are the license plates would be useless, … what else is a girl to do when witness to grand theft auto? Keep her mouth shut and stay away from the dangerous people, right? Maybe that´s a cop out, but it is what I chose to do…

I was talking with a friend here about theft, a common theme in this country. I told him that I felt confused because I felt like the time I spent in Africa made me aware of how to hold my possessions so they won´t get stolen, how to behave so that I won´t get robbed, and how to exist in a city where thefts are common. And yet, everything that I have is being stolen repeatedly. In the airport, from my bedroom, when I go out… He said something that really left an impression, ¨The difference is that in Africa, people steal for necessity, while here, people steal for pleasure…¨ It´s a game. It´s an addiction. Ain´t that the truth.

In other bizarre theft news, the guy who stole my computer and camera and skipped town recently friended me on facebook. There is no rational explanation for this behavior, in my mind. I have concluded that he is totally out of his mind… He won´t respond to my emails or texts, but he wants to be friends on facebook?? MAYBE YOU SHOULD HAVE CONSIDERED THAT BEFORE YOU STOLE MY STUFF YOU CRAZY PSYCHO! Whew, glad I let that out publicly. But seriously, wtf, right?

In other news, there has been a recent breakout of tropical diseases among my acquaintances here. Some of the diseases have been identified, others of have not. A student of mine has dengue, the boy who was helping me with my class of devil children has hepatitis A, the director of the language center has something really fierce, Yervio has a sinus infection, … I am just waiting to see which one of my at least 12-15 vaccinations fails me. Haha, it wouldn´t be traveling if you didn´t get sick at least once, or so I tell myself. We´ll see.

4 comments:

  1. You've already had your "get sick at least once" mandatory illness. I refer you back to the "All the pepto bismol in the world" post...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna,
    It's rather easy to be non-materialistic when you have nothing, right? Your photos of hiking look enviable. Glad you are learning so much while you are there. That IS what it's about, I guess. I think your dad should take a computer down to you personally, don't you?
    Cathy W.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got the flu again last week. Second time since coming to China! It's no dengue or Hepatitis A, but it's sure annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck staying healthy. My family just got back from a month in Peru and Shigela had three of us running to the baño/selva every few hours for most of the trip. We had a great time though.

    Garrison

    ReplyDelete